Monday, December 28, 2009

Wellington

"Happy 2nd anniversary, thanks for the good times Miss Howell, now get out." That's my impression of my Aussie departure, anyway. 

Wellington is the national Capital and also known as the hub of arts and culture for New Zealand. Films are shot here, music gravitates here, museums are everywhere and often free. There are also apparently more cafes per capita than New York City--and bear in mind that this is a city of less than half a million people.



Of all of the places I've lived, this has been the easiest transition, except when it comes to finding work. That part sucks because everyone is on holiday for an entire month. I tried to order pizza today and they wanted to charge me $9 for delivery because it's a holiday. December 28th isn't a holiday, but there's no one around to deliver the pizza so I think they have someone fly over to get it to you.

 I immediately noticed how well people take care of others. The generosity is unprecedented for any Western country I've ever heard of. That also speaks to the sense of community within the arts and music scene. 

You can't go far without being smacked in the face with natural majesty. Cliffs, rolling hills, waterfront in the city centre, and a very apparent connection to the cultural roots of the Maori people. I'll  make a list of things that I have found notable and fill you in a bit later. Let me know if I forget something.

Moko (Maori tattoos)  
Finding a home & the cost of living
Job hunting
Cuba Street
San Francisco Bath House (a bar)
Bodega (another bar)
Radioactive (an independent radio station)
Food
Street art
Designers & Independent boutiques
Community markets & Crafting
Zine culture & Ladyfest
Insomnia (the all night music show every night on a station called C4)
Spontaneous kitchen dance parties.
Unrelenting fairy tale vibe throughout the city.

Photo: Heather Stewart. 
Simeon's Kiwi coffee @ The George hotel bar, Christchurch
November 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment