Saturday, December 26, 2009

Ben Harper and Moko

If you have grown up, as I have, seeing bogan after meat-head after douchebag walk into a Tattoo shop and pick out some wanky drawing similar to Pam Anderson's barb-wire arm band, you may pull a sour face when you hear someone talking about their latest tribal tattoo.

If this sounds familiar, I urge you to check out what is called Moko, the traditional tribal tattooing of New Zealand's indigineous people, the Maori.

When visiting a very lovely friend of mine who works for the guy, I went to see Ben Harper perform with Pearl Jam in Christchurch. I noticed during his performance that he seemed to have some Moko. Curious, I looked into it, and found this, from NZ television:




Hearing another foreigner like me express so eloquently, such a deep connection to this country, resonates sharply with me. I can identify very well with the pull to start a life here, and his appreciation for the history and beauty of their artwork. 

Similarly, since having left home, Wellington is the first place that I could see having a future, if I had the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment